Extractions are sometimes necessary if the tooth can not be restored and may cause further pain or problems. Please ask dentist for different options.
After an extraction please observe the following to reduce chances of an infection:
- Avoid eating hot food, rinsing or spitting for 24 hours after the extraction.
- After the extraction avoid brushing the teeth near the extraction site for one day.
- Avoid commercial mouth rinses, as they tend to irritate the site.
- If swelling occurs you can place ice on your face for 10 minutes and off for 20 minutes. Repeat this cycle as you feel necessary for up to 24 hours.
- Beginning 24 hours after the extraction you can rinse with salt water (1/2 teaspoon in a cup of water) after meals and before bed.
- Don’t drink any alcohol and try not to disturb any blood clots which might have formed.
- Do not smoke for 24 hours.